Wednesday 18 January 2017

DIY Studio 2

This is what happens when you watch too many DIY upcycling programmes on TV!! When I first started doing the demo on all the man-shelving in my garage (studio-to-be) I quite liked the huge, old, solid, work bench that was at one end. It was the right height so I had an idea to convert it into a huge, old, solid, cutting table. 

Apart from being very dirty it was also attached quite robustly to the wall (why??!). I nearly gave up then but managed to get it off. Wow, it was so heavy and I had no idea how I was going to move it around. But luckily I have a Dad who loved garage sales so in my tool box was a set of wheels. So I charged up my trusty old drill, flipped the bench on its side (more like let it fall onto a pile of old carpet next to it), and attached the wheels. Magic!

I scraped down the top a little - just to remove lumps as it will have a new top. Then scrubbed the whole thing, I'm not keen on cleaning but I think this thing hadn't been cleaned since it was made and I'm okay with once every 50 years or so.

 Then it was looking a lot better ...


And I had an idea that it would look better if I polished it or something. "Something" turned out to be an expensive ($36!) can of Liming Wax that I had bought years ago for some unrealised project so I thought I would give it a go. It certainly got that "chalk paint" look to it. There was a can of plain furniture wax with the liming one so I decided to give it a coat of that too. By then I was absolutely knackered and will not need to join a gym until this project is over! 

And here she is back in the garage studio all shiny and clean. And she smells fabulous ... wonder what that wax is made of?!





Then I just had to give it a new (huge) MDF top and it is all ready for work!



As soon as I finish off the floor, walls, shelving ...
Ree
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment